Named after its developer, James M. Cox DC DACBR, Cox® Technic Flexion Distraction and Decompression is a gentle, non-force chiropractic adjusting approach. 63.7% of chiropractic physicians report using flexion-distraction in their practices. (1 - page 15 of 16 in this PDF) Family & Sports Chiropractic of St. Francisville provides this highly-effective spinal manipulation and decompression technique, a combination of chiropractic and osteopathic principles. This combo offers a non-surgical alternative first line treatment to a more intrusive surgery for relief of pain in the neck, arm, back and leg, especially for the 1 in 4 patients who are 95% of the cost of healthcare dollars for back pain: the disc herniation and stenosis cases. Cox® Technic's effectiveness for these more involved conditions makes it a choice conservative, non-surgical approach for less involved conditions of back and neck pain likewise.
Cox® Technic is a gentle distraction (stretching) adjustment of the spine to achieve the following benefits for the patient with back or extremity pain:
- Increase the intervertebral disc space opening
- Decrease the pressure within the disc to aid healing of disc herniation
- Increase the size of the nerve openings in the spine to reduce pinched nerves
- Revive range of motion to spinal segments
Cox® Technic Cervical Spine Effects
Cox® Technic Thoracic Spine Effects
Cox® Technic Lumbar Spine Effects
The disc is pressing on the nerve. Note that as the disc herniation reduces, the pinched nerve can be relieved.
*These are animations of the goal of Cox® Technic Flexion-Distraction and Decompression: reduced irritation of spinal elements enough to relieve pain and help you regain your quality of life. The amount of decrease in size of the herniated disc necessary for pain relief varies from 0% to 100% for each individual patient.
The Healing Benefits
The above changes in the spine permit the following healing benefits to patients with back pain or pain down the arms or legs:
- Stimulation of circulation into the intervertebral disc to aid in absorption of the pain-causing chemicals while increasing the absorption of nutrients into the disc to aid healing and inflammation of the disc.
- Dropping the pressure inside the disc creates a force inside the disc to reduce the bulging of herniated disc material.
- Stenosis patients benefit by the increase in the size of the nerve openings which is the site of nerve compression and pinched nerves.
- Range of motion spinal manipulation restores more freedom of movement while also stimulating nerves in the extremities, spinal cord, and brain to produce chemicals that reduce pain and create a sense of well-being.
- As these above changes occur under chiropractic treatment with Cox® Technic Flexion Distraction spinal manipulation, pain in the extremity can reduce by centralizing or isolating the pain to the low back and hip area.
- This reduction of pain in the extremity by its moving up the leg and into the back and hip area is a sign of healing and is called centralization of pain.
- Back pain diminishes as the nerve compression and chemical irritation diminishes and normal movement of the spine returns.
- A study documents that it takes three months to allow healing of herniated disc and stenosis caused pain. Some patients find full relief of pain and some as much relief as possible, requiring continued observance of rules of exercise, proper ergonomics of lifting, and continued monitoring of care.
You will notice, as most patients do on their first visit, the special table used for Cox® Technic. It is known as The Cox® Table or a flexion distraction table. Its design allows a gentle tractioning of the spine to drop intradiscal pressures, to increase disc height, and open the spinal canal area as well as re-establish individual normal spinal segment ranges of motion.
Cox® Technic Flexion Distraction and Decompression is applied particularly for each region of the spine. To see its gentle, effective application, please see the See It In Action
Schedule an appointment with Family & Sports Chiropractic of St. Francisville today to experience this gentle, safe, effective, non-surgical treatment of spine pain.